There is much for Sutton to be proud of both as a council and as a borough. This includes high levels of resident satisfaction, the addressing of the authority’s financial challenges to date, the involvement and engagement of residents in key issues facing the borough and the enthusiastic and motivated staff that the authority has. Looking ahead, there are plans for the delivery of new homes and new schools and the London Cancer Hub is being developed, whilst the council is also seen as a driving force within the South London Partnership of five outer south west London boroughs focused on strategic growth, regeneration and investment.
All of this demonstrates a good track record and an authority that is ambitious and wants things to get even better. The council recently set out its vision for the future of Sutton in its corporate plan - Ambitious for Sutton. This strategic plan will shape the outcomes we achieve, the services we provide, and the impact we have on residents, to make Sutton a great place to live, work and raise a family.
Ambitious for Sutton sets out how the council plans to shape its services for the next five years.
We plan to focus our resources on residents’ priorities and achieve our vision of being a borough in which all can take part and take pride.
The council’s priorities have been identified under four key themes:
- Being Active
- Making Informed Choices
- Living Well Independently
- Keeping People Safe
Sutton's PRIDE values are:
- Better together: We work collaboratively with colleagues and partners, recognising that everything we do is for the benefit of our residents.
- Less judgement, more empathy: We treat people with respect rather than making assumptions about their needs or behaviour.
- No decision about me, without me: We believe that everyone has the right to be involved in decisions that affect them.
- We think for ourselves and take initiative rather than waiting to be told what to do.
- We consider options carefully and make judgements, and then we take ownership of our decisions, knowing the risks.
- We always act with integrity and can be trusted to do what we say we are going to do. We hold ourselves and our colleagues to account.
- We take responsibility for continuing to learn and trying to be better at what we do.
- We care about our impact on each other, our partners and our environment.
- We think creatively, look for solutions and solve problems.
- We are always looking for new ideas, learning from our own experiences, each other, and the best in the world.
- We actively try new things; we understand that mistakes create opportunities to learn and we manage the risks that arise.
- We are passionate about everyone having the best opportunities.
- We carefully consider the impact of our decisions, and we always seek to act fairly.
- We recognise that equality is about understanding that people are different and have different strengths as well as needs, rather than simply treating everyone the same.
- We take advantage of new opportunities and manage risk effectively.
- We work with the market and with the community to make the best use of public resources.
- We are robust in our business relationships to ensure that Sutton residents get good value for money.
To find out more about Sutton, please click on the following links: