Kingston upon Thames fuses innovation, culture and heritage to deliver a unique destination experience for companies, workers, investors, residents and visitors alike. For centuries it has exceeded expectations as a place to do business, innovate, learn, shop and have fun. Today, it continues its journey with the delivery of a new phase of regeneration which will re-invent those core qualities to ensure it continues to be a first-choice destination.
The Royal Borough of Kingston has a long history, a strong cultural and community heritage and is set to be one of the fastest growing areas of London. With the planned arrival of Crossrail 2 and ongoing construction of our award winning 'Go Cycle' scheme, the borough is at the forefront of the city's changing transport infrastructure.
With this comes opportunity, and there are exciting new commercial and residential developments planned, not just in Kingston Town Centre, but in all parts of the borough; in Surbiton, New Malden, Tolworth and Chessington in the rural south.
Our ambitions for Kingston
‘Making Kingston Better, Together’ - the 2019 - 2023 Corporate Plan - is the council’s most important strategic document. It articulates our vision for the borough and for the council to 2023, together with our most important strategic outcomes that we’ll strive to achieve over the next four years. It also sets out our objective for what we want the council to be and how we will change in order to deliver our outcomes.
Over the next four years to 2023, we will focus on achieving three strategic outcomes which are linked to our vision and set out what we want to achieve for the borough:
Our strategic outcomes
- A SUSTAINABLE APPROACH TO NEW HOMES, DEVELOPMENT AND INFRASTRUCTURE WHICH BENEFITS OUR COMMUNITIES, IN A WELL MAINTAINED BOROUGH.
- A SAFE BOROUGH WHICH CELEBRATES OUR DIVERSE AND VIBRANT COMMUNITIES, WITH LOCAL PRIORITIES SHAPED THROUGH PARTICIPATORY DEMOCRACY.
- HEALTHY, INDEPENDENT AND RESILIENT RESIDENTS WITH EFFECTIVE SUPPORT TO THOSE WHO NEED IT MOST.
Our vision for the council
We have a clear vision about the type of council we want to be and the how we will strive to put the needs of residents at the heart of what we do, as we ‘hardwire’ effective resident engagement and involvement into our decision making. To achieve this, we are committed to changing the culture of the organisation and involving staff in this process. This is a core part of our transformation as a council, enabling us to become a more agile, responsive and forward looking organisation where everyone knows their roles and responsibilities and staff feel respected and valued in their job.
Our vision for the council is:
Kingston Council will be financially and environmentally sustainable, working transparently and collectively in the best interests of Kingston’s residents, partners and businesses.
Being an enabling council is a key principle that runs through our organisational development and is embedded in everything we do. Underpinning this are the following values:
- Promote a culture that encourages creativity
- Embrace new ideas and ways of working
- Ambitious to push the boundaries to realise potential
- Respect and recognition - everyone has a voice that is heard and we are all valued
- Collaborative - working together with new and existing partners
- Empowering staff and residents to encourage informed decision-making
- Inspire trust by acting with integrity in all we do
- Commercial acumen to find solutions and best value
- Agile working
- Customer driven, listening and responding to consistently deliver excellence